A security deposit is a sum of money that you will give to your landlord when you agree to rent a property. This money acts as insurance for the landlord. If you do not pay your rent or if you cause damage to the property, the landlord will have the security deposit to rely on as financial security. If you leave the property in good condition and you fulfill your end of the bargain according to your contract, you will get your full security deposit back at the end of your tenancy agreement.
If you’re living in off-campus housing near Ohio University, it makes sense to keep your apartment clean on a day-to-day basis so that you do not need to undertake a monumental cleaning task to get your security deposit back at the end of your tenancy.
Make Sure You Get Your Full Security Deposit Back
There are a number of different steps that you can take to make sure that your apartment is kept in pristine condition so that you can get your full security deposit back.
It is a good idea to take some photos of your apartment before you move in. This is beneficial because it will allow you to reference the condition that the appointment was in before you moved in. This has two benefits. Firstly, it enables you to see what condition the apartment should be in when it is given back to the landlord. Secondly, it gives you proof should your landlord try to blame you for something that was already wrong within the apartment before you moved in.
Make sure you keep your apartment clean during your stay in the rental. There are a number of different steps that you can take here. This includes the following:
- You should clean your apartment as you go. While this may be annoying at the time, you will thank yourself later! This will make sure that there is no build-up of grime or dirt in your property, which will only get more difficult to clean as time goes on.
- Use aluminum foil to line areas of your stove and oven, if applicable. This is beneficial because it means you will not have to scrape overcooked bits of food and scrub them away later on.
- You should make an effort to deep clean your apartment once every month.
- One of the good ways to stay on top of cleaning your apartment is to treat it like it is your permanent living space, rather than a rental. When you know that you are not the person that is ultimately responsible for the apartment, this can encourage lazy habits. After all, it’s not truly your apartment! However, you can end up losing your security deposit if you have this attitude. Instead, treat it like it is your own home.
- A lot of students cannot afford to spend a lot of money on cleaning products. This is understandable. The good news is that you do not have to purchase cleaning products. Instead, why not create your own? If you take a look online, you will see that there are plenty of different recipes for cleaning products. You can use everyday, household products to create your own cleaning products. This is a good way to ensure that your cleaning products are natural and healthy as well.
- It is also advisable to ask your landlord if he or she has an inspection sheet. This will give you a good understanding of what you need to do to keep the apartment clean, as well as the level of cleanliness the landlord is searching for.
Try to Pay Your Rent On Time
It is also important to get into good paying habits. While paying your rent late does not mean your landlord can keep your deposit, you may get charged interest. Moreover, if you do not pay your rent, your landlord can keep the security deposit to cover the costs and potentially evict you. If you are experiencing any issues with your rent, the best thing to do is be honest and upfront with your landlord. You should be able to come to an understanding if you maintain good communication.
So there you have it: an insight into some of the different things that you can do to ensure that your apartment is clean and that you have the best chance of getting your security deposit back. If you follow the advice that has been provided, you can set yourself up for success.
If you’re looking for a clean, conveniently-located rental with great management, contact Wharton Rentals today.